Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Skinny Bear

Yesterday at work I had a conversation with a co-worker who had different feelings on politics than I do. She is a fan of Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee. I'm a fan of almost anyone but those two. She is a strong believer of less government and vastly reduced spending both at the state and federal levels.

We discussed everything from the situation in Wisconsin to who we thought would run on the Republican ticket in 2010. While we disagreed on many things we found we were able to have a constructive conversation without anger.  I told her that I feel a lot of conservative Americans come across as hypocritical when discussing certain fiscal and social issues...such as public assistance programs, abortion, and gay marriage. I went on to explain that you can not demand that the government stay out of your personal life completely and stop almost all but essential spending but at the same time file an unemployment claim. She asked how I felt about abortion and I told her that I  A) Don't have a uterus and B) Have never been in a situation where an abortion would be an option. I said it was my understanding that no government funds go towards paying for abortions and that if you didn't believe in abortions then don't have one. I asked her what right she had to decide what another adult does with their body if it didn't directly affect her? She agreed that while she is still Pro-Life she understood where I came from and my opinion made sense. As for gay marriage she kept her mouth shut. I think she knew better than to open this can of worms with me. I've said it before and I'll say it again...It doesn't affect you in ANY way. Who I marry has no bearing on your marriage and if you think my marrying Adam will weaken "traditional" marriage then you have problems in your marriage that you need to address instead of sticking your nose into my business. 

2 comments:

  1. amen! there was a neat editorial in USA Today about how the government isn't a theocratic government so any religious barrings on marriage has no place in our government. and essentially, all "marriages" should be defined as civil commitments in the eyes of the law (gay or straight). if a church wants to deny me the right to marry you in a church, that's their decision; but the government should never be able to deny its citizens the right to a civil commitment. how's that for equality?! NO MARRIAGES PERIOD IN THE EYES OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Who I marry has no bearing on your marriage and if you think my marrying Adam will weaken "traditional" marriage then you have problems in your marriage that you need to address instead of sticking your nose into my business." Well stated!! Love to you both!
    Aunt C

    ReplyDelete