Sunday, November 28, 2010

They're All I Can See

As promised in a previous post here is my review of the Jonathon Franzen book "Freedom."

The Berglund family is dysfunction at it's finest. The book tells the story of both the mother (Patty) and father (Walter) from childhood through middle age. It intertwines their parents, siblings, college friends, children, neighbors, and co-workers. Unlike his previous book, I found this one gripping. There were times I couldn't put it down. Often I wanted to scream at one or more of the characters but as I read more and more I also found myself empathizing with some of them. The authors' style of writing can be a little difficult for me to handle at times but he has a way of portraying each character so that you feel a wide range of emotions toward them throughout the story. 

I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment